Every company has leads that fall through the cracks.
These leads leak out during the marketing process, during the transition to sales, or, sales reps simply ignores them.
This is called lead leakage and it is bad, ugly, and a nightmare for marketers. Leads leak out of piplelines every day in this country and it has to stop!
In some cases these are leads that are flowing in as the result of great inbound marketing like blogs and articles and social media outreach. That content takes work–a lot of work–to create. And when a marketer sees the leads created a by his/her work fall by the wayside…it is frustrating.
In other cases leads are created by paid marketing campaigns that are expensive and tiem-consuming. Those leads are worth a lot and, again, when they’re ignored or when they fall through the cracks…it is frustrating.
If you are a marketer and you are shaking your head in sadness right now, here are some pretty stunning statistics from Marketing Sherpa about lead leakage that will show you simply, you are not alone:
– 80% of leads are never followed up on by sales.
– 73% of companies have no process for reengaging and nurturing leads.
– 37% of customers are from leads over three months old.
– 20% of customers are from leads generated over one year ago.
1) Lead Source – The first way to stop lead leakage is to actually know where your leads are coming from. If you fail to track leads effectively at the top of the funnel you will fail to manage them correctly throughout the funnel.
2) Tag Lead Calls – In conjunction with lead scoring for calls, which we discussed earlier, some advanced call tracking platforms give you the ability to use social media inspired tags to tag calls. Tag hot lead calls with something like “hot lead.” Run a search and report on this tag on a weekly basis and follow up.
3) Integrate Call Tracking into Your CRM – Convirza automatically appends call recordings and tracking data into CRM customer records. You have the entirety of every phone conversation with every customer available to you. This improves the efficiency and effectiveness of your sales team, and it improves conversion rates.