We’ve been gathering some interesting internal marketing data lately.
Last week we told you about two very interesting case studies from a year’s worth of email marketing efforts. This data has essentially turned our longstanding email marketing assumptions on its head.
Now, we’re learning more about our customers’ web behavior before they become customers. Hopefully this is instructive for you as well.
We ran 90 days worth of data in Google Analytics and found the following:
– 50.79% of the total number of a specific type of new account in December visited the site FOR THE FIRST TIME 12-30 days prior to purchasing. In other words, over half of our new accounts during that time period had visited the site for the first time between 2 and 4 weeks earlier.
That seems like a relatively short buying cycle
– The more staggering thing is that the remaining 49% actually decided to purchase in less time.
– 4 customers signed up for accounts 7 days after they first visited the site.
– 4 customers signed up for accounts 1 day after the first visited the site
– And 15 customers (nearly 16%) signed up for accounts the same day they first visited the site. These are likely people that either signed up for low dollar Pro accounts, or people that were given a demo by the sales team.
This data measures the number of times someone visited the site before before they decided to purchase.
– 12 customers purchased after visiting the site only 1 time, that’s 19.05%.
– 5 customers purchased after visiting the site 4 times, that’s 7.94%
– 6 customers purchased after visiting the site 6 times, that’s 9.52%
– And a staggering 22 customers purchased after the visiting the site 12 or more times, that’s 34.92%
These two sets of data combined suggest a few interesting things:
1) When someone is considering becoming a Convirza customer they visit the site a lot in a relatively short period of time. They’re on the site at least once a day reading, looking at pricing, and analyzing the feature-set Convirza call tracking provides. Remember that nearly 35% of customers visited the site more than 12 times over a 30 day period. That’s a lot.
2) There are still a surprising number of people that become Convirza customers on their first visit to the site (almost 20%). This could be a combination of several factors:
– The customer researches Convirza from another computer that isn’t associated with the conversion, thus it isn’t actually the first time they’ve visited the site. It just appears that way within Google Analytics.
– A lower-level employee does the research and then the purchase is actually made on the boss’s computer.
– The research is all done during one site visit. These people are, likely, signing up for smaller accounts.
3) Some other data (not pictured here) indicates that conversions that begin with an organic search convert even more quickly. Over 40% of organic searchers end up purchasing on that first visit to the site.
Obviously this data is internal Convirza data and probably doesn’t have anything at all to do with your business. BUT…it does demonstrate the power of Google Analytics and metrics generally.
I encourage you to gather this type of data for your business, improve your processes as a result of this data, and make more money.
Join Our Conversation
Connect with us on your favorite platform to learn more about how Convirza is helping thousands of companies solve their most challenging sales and marketing needs.